Are you looking for fun, but meaningful work to end the school year? I think this will help.
This unit is appropriate at a grade 9 level (or if you have older grades with weaker students).
This is a 10 to 13 period Poetry unit that contains ALL the necessary information for the teacher and for the students. Detailed lesson plans with suggestions for discussion are available as well as a visually pleasing student guide. All that is needed from the teacher is to photocopy the pages for students and begin teaching and learning.
The files are in PDF format and are zipped for convenience.
- 1 set of « I HAVE, Who has? » cards (to familiarize students with figurative language)
- 1 set of instructions for the game
- A comprehensive teacher guide with 10 complete lessons
- A student package that contains ALL notes and handouts students will need for the unit
- An end unit evaluation - in a Word document for easy modifications. (With detailed evaluation rubrics – one for the written component and one for the oral component - answer key and annotated teacher version included).
- A detailed answer key is included.
In the lesson plans, there is detailed information for each poem taught. This poetry bundle has been designed to use mostly with the intermediate student.
Poems studied include:
- Song lyrics – Jessie J’s “Domino” (Goal : review figurative language and analyze messages found in popular media.)
- Jonathan Reed’s “The Lost Generation”
- Selena Matis’ “Ability”
- Robert Frost’s “The Road not Taken”
- Robert Hayden’s “ Those Winter Sundays”
- Song lyrics “True Colors”
- Emily Dickenson’s “Hope is the Thing with Feathers”
- Rudyard Kipling’s “If”
- Maya Angelou’s “Phenomenal Woman”
The unit has been conceived for the intermediate level and is oriented by the guiding question: “What do I stand for?”. (For those who participate in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program: The Area of Interaction is Health and Social Education.) The unit contextualizes poetry to help students better understand who they
are and what they stand for.
It's teaching made easy!